Monday, July 2, 2012

A Monkey's Graduation

This May a lifelong family friend we've known for sixteen years graduated high school. His mom asked me if I would make him a cake for his graduation, and of course I couldn't say no. I knew that because our families have known each other for so long that I could have some fun with this cake. Greg, the graduate, asked for a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. His mom asked for me to incorporate a monkey in somehow (her nickname for him is Monkey). So, I did some research of graduation cakes and fell in love with the book theme. I asked his mom what his three worst subjects were (Greg wasn't the greatest student and his worst subjects I felt would be more memorable than just any old class). The cap on top is of his school colors, green and gold with "2012" on it. The diploma is one of my favorite pieces. Wait, you didn't see a diploma? That thing that looks like a banana....yea! It was a brilliant idea KettlePopped and I came up with. To have a banana peeled open to reveal the diploma. I loved the idea, and still think it was quite clever. The monkey was KettlePopped's idea, to use the evil monkey from Family Guy. Greg and his family watch the show as well, so we knew they'd get a kick out of it. 
The cake, as I said before, was red velvet filled with my cream cheese icing and covered with a thin layer of my buttercream. They were covered in two layers of fondant, one for the pages and another for the covers. The spines of each book were decorated with white chocolate letters and bindings. The cap was a red velvet cupcake turned upside down and covered with chocolate. The tassel and "2012" numbers were also chocolate. The evil monkey was modeled out of modeling chocolate by KettlePopped. I made the diploma as well from modeling chocolate.
I was not able to actually attend Greg's graduation since I had to work, but I met them afterwards at Olive Garden and sat with his family until my family and KettlePopped arrived with the cake.
While at the restaurant I heard other tables around us talking about the cake and asking their kids if they wanted a cake like his. I gave some cake to the waiter, who was awesome and super polite during our entire meal.
This cake was fun to make and I hope Greg liked it (his mom loved it).




Happy Graduation Greg,
YOU DID IT!!!






Note: This cake took from May 24-26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment